2017 Fall Wood Working Project Multimedia Room Table

This is the most satisfying wood working project I’ve done to date. I’m really enjoying this piece on a daily basis. I apologize if I’m a bit proud of it.


We had a non-ideal table setup in our media room that I cobbled together a couple years ago.  This time I wanted something with 3 shallow drawers in front with no knee hazards and a large snack try that pulled out in back for big bags of chips and pop corn etc.. And this time the joinery and finish work were going to be less “utilitarian” looking.

The table top has a Bar Top Epoxy finish and the rest is Arm-R-Seal over SealCoat.  There is a book matched piece of Bird’s Eye Maple in the center with Ebony accent strip, framed with highly figured quarter sawn white oak and banded in Ribbon Sapele.

The snack tray bottom is Curly Maple with Bird’s Eye Maple front and back and sides of white oak.



The picture below was before final shaping and finish, but I like the angle. Notice the tolerances on the drawers. The drawer fronts were cut from a single piece of glued up birds eye maple, sapele and white oak with a thin kerf bandsaw blade and finished with a hand plane on a shooting board so they look nearly solid.




The project started off at Jeffery’s Lumber to find some pretty hardwoods and I only started of with a basic plan and figured everything out as I went.

It was killing me that my small bandsaw could only cut 4.5” thick wood and I didn’t want 4 panels in the top of this table, so I bumped up to a bandsaw that could resaw up to 14” thick.


I was also not happy with the work surfaces around my table saw so I built a couple infeed/outfeed/ side tables for my table saw.


It all started with the center piece of the table, the Bird’s Eye Maple. This is the book match cut. I started the piece with the table saw top and bottom to try to manage any drift.


This gave me the focal point I wanted for the top of the table.


I started with a core piece of 3/4” baltic birch with the hope that using veneers and glue would make the piece stable long term. So I started by banding the core with Ribbon Sapele.


After banding the baltic birch with Sapele, I block planed and sanded it flush.


Then the bookmatched Bird’s Eye was glued together.


I decided to use an Ebony Accent and I learned that Ebony darkens after exposure to light and air. Below are 4 strips of Ebony, showing freshly cut top, exposed to sun and air for a few hours middle and the dark edge bottom.


The the center piece is sandwiched between Ebony and White Oak ends, then the entire length was run through the table saw to get a clean edge on both sides before it was glued to the baltic birch core.


The front and back edging was then glued on.


Then I spent some quality time with my #6 hand plane and got the table top flush.



This is probably not the way most people would do this, but I ran the table top over my router table rather than running a router around the table.


Then after some time with a random orbital sander it was ready for a protective coat of SealCoat while I continued on the rest of the project.


It’s worth noting that I tried a number of stains, oils and dyes, but my wife liked the natural look of the wood so it was just Shellac for now. In my eyes this was beautiful.


There are 1/8” slots routed in the 1/4” baltic birch plywood center panel for the drawer supports and 3/4” plywood sections with brass inserts to hold the legs.


Each leg has 3 bolts holding it in place.


Switching to the snack tray. There are 15 degree dado slots in the sides to hold 1/4” baltic birch plywood core and there is a 1/2” baltic birch bottom core.



With the tray fitted between the leg supports, the drawer sides and supports are cut.


For assembly disassembly there needed to be two holes in the side drawer supports.


Created interior and exterior veneers for the snack drawer out of Curly Maple and Bird’s Eye Maple.


Glued up the snack tray veneers.


Started work on the legs with edge banding and leg supports with 1/2” fascia boards.  Glued up the strip for the drawer fronts. Cut veneers for the legs.


Started gluing up the legs.


Dado cut 1 1/8” thick white oak front and back pieces that created an I-beam like structure and got those fitted. Did some rough shaping of the feet.


Legs shaped and sealed.


Picked some pretty Walnut veneer patterns for the drawer bottoms.


Routed the slots and cut runner pieces for the drawers.


Glued the drawers together without drawer fronts. Then with careful attention to the drawer front placement glued the drawer fronts on in-situ.


It is now feature complete and ready for final sanding and finish.


Taped up the bottom of the table to allow me to peel off Bar Top epoxy drips.


I had closed off this room, shut the vents and left the table in there to set overnight to let dust settle before putting the epoxy on.

Epoxy is down, now to patiently let it dry for a few days…


Then I put the legs in tightened the bolts and put it in my media room.

This is probably my last project of the year while I focus on other things.


0 Responses to “2017 Fall Wood Working Project Multimedia Room Table”

  1. Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: